The National Asthma Educator Certification Board (NAECB) has been incorporated as a not-for-profit 501-c-6 organization with the mission:
“To promote optimal asthma management and quality of life among individuals with asthma, their families and communities by advancing excellence in asthma education through the Certified Asthma Educator process.”
An asthma educator is an expert in counseling individuals with asthma and their families how to manage their asthma and to minimize its impact on their quality of life.
- Has comprehensive, current knowledge of asthma pathophysiology & management including human development, cultural aspects, chronic illness & teaching-learning principles.
- Understands how asthma is diagnosed & how to assess its control.
- Teaches the best use of medications & delivery devices, explaining technical concepts in understandable terms.
- Conducts individual & family assessments to identify strengths, resources, psychological factors, social & economic impact, educational needs & barriers to optimal health care & self-management.
- Works with individuals with asthma, their families & healthcare professionals to develop, implement, monitor & revise the asthma action plan customized to individual needs, environment, disease severity & lifestyle.
- Monitors asthma education program outcomes & recommends changes to improve quality & effectiveness.
- Serves as a resource to the community by providing information about asthma as well as healthcare & community resources.
AE-C® certification is the official designation of a certified asthma educator who has the necessary knowledge and skills to counsel patients in asthma management and has successfully passed the NAECB exam. The NAECB exam is a voluntary testing program used to assess qualified health professionals knowledge in asthma education. It is an evaluative process that demonstrates that rigorous education and experience requirements have been met. Certification is voluntary and is not required by law for employment in the field, although some agencies may use AE-C® certification as a basis for employment, job promotions, salary increases, or other considerations.